Thursday, October 28, 2010

Detroit Connections Photos

Originally this was just supposed to be only two or three photos from Detroit Connections, but in going through my photos I found it hard to chose only a few (I've taken about 350 photos so far and the kids are so great!).

For those of you who don't know, Detroit Connections is a class where one day a week we spend the day at a Detroit Public school (ours is Garvey Elementary) teaching 5th graders art. Detroit schools have basically no money so all extra (ie, non testing subjects) have been eliminated. We are art facilitators more than anything, not really teaching processes but introducing materials to explore. It's a great experience every time and I really enjoy spending time with the kids and getting to know them.



My fellow group leader, Jenn with (R to L) Kortnee, Cierra and a girl who is best friends with Cierra but I can't remember her name as she's not in our group.

Making wood sculptures, the three girls in our group decided to team up and make a neighborhood.

Andre, showing me his sketch book cover. Heck of a kid, loves super heros and calls me Peter Parker (as I always have my camera and my name).

Melanie (our prof) and Gerrard discussing ideas.

Kortnee and Day'Jaire showing me their panted hands.

Andre created something he was excited about!


Our GSI, Charlie, helping clean the kids up after paint mixing.


Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails